A residence permit is a mandatory permit for foreigners who decided to settle in Turkey for various reasons. There are short term residence permit, student residence permit, family residence permit, long term residence permit and humanitarian residence permit. Applications are made online to the immigration administration online. How to get a residence permit in Turkey? By taking an appointment, you can go to the general directorate of immigration administration with the documents. Residence permits are issued under the responsibility of the “Directorate General of Immigration Management” affiliated to the Ministry of Interior. It has offices in all provinces. Applications must be received from Turkey. Sworn translation and notary approval of the documents are usually required in the applications, and you will keep the original documents.
What Happens If I Don't Have a Residence Permit in Turkey?
If you do not have a residence permit in Turkey, there are certaint things that you can’t do, buy or have.
- You cannot buy any motor vehicle. (car, van, motorcycle, scooter etc.).
- You cannot get a fixed telephone and / or internet service.
- It is not permitted to import personal belongings, furniture, cars, etc.
- He cannot register with the Turkish Social Security Institution.
- A bank account cannot be opened.
- A company cannot be established.
Requirements For Short Term Residence Permit Turkey
Short term residence permit Turkey is given for a maximum of two years in the first application.
- Passport: Foreigners who will apply, must have a passport valid for at least 60 days longer than the residence permit application period. For one year, a passport valid for 14 months after your application or 26 months for 2 years.
- 4 biometric sized photographs. A digital photo that fulfills the biometric requirements. The photo must be one that face recognition systems can easily identify.
- Photocopy of the pages containing the contents listed in your passport: The page containing your photo, the page of the last stamp you entered, the pages containing the issue and expiry dates.
- A valid, fully comprehensive health insurance. Policy and a photocopy. (The current policy should be stated that in Turkey. If it is not received in Turkey, there should be an officially certified photocopy with translation.) Or proof that your social security in your home country covers you in Turkey. (you must also submit an officially certified photocopy)
- You must have copies and originals of your title deed and Dask file (earthquake insurance) or your rental contract with you.
Note: If you are married and only one of you is named in the title deed, you must also provide a photocopy and translation of the marriage certificate.
- You have a Turkish tax number to pay the fees at the tax office. If you are renewing a residence permit, your current residence permit card is required.
- A residence from the civil registry office stating your current address in Turkey. In some cases, a criminal record may be required.
- A cover file to keep all documents together.
Note: If you are over the age of 65, you do not have to take out Health Insurance for a short-term residence permit. Also for those under the age of 18, if the family insurance policy does not cover the child, then you do not need to take out a separate insurance for the child.
Who Can Apply For Short Term Residence Permit Turkey?
- People coming for research purposes
- People with immovable property in Turkey
- Those who will establish business contacts or establish a business
- Those who will come for educational or similar purposes within the framework of international agreements or student exchange programs
- Those who will stay for tourism purposes
- Those who will receive treatment, provided that they do not have one of the diseases that are considered a threat to public health
- People who will attend Turkish learning courses
- Those who will participate in education, research, internships and courses through public institutions in Turkey
- Those who complete their higher education in Turkey and apply within six months from the date of graduation
Requirements For Long Term Residence Permit Turkey
Persons who have resided continuously for at least eight years with a residence permit in Turkey can apply for a (permanent) long-term residence permit Turkey.
- It is compulsory to take out health insurance for all long term residence permit applications regardless of age.
- You must have lived uninterruptedly for at least eight years with a residence permit in Turkey.
- You should not have benefited from any support from the State in the last 3 years.
- You must have a monthly income that is sufficient for you.
- You should not pose any threat to society and public safety.
Note: If you have been out of Turkey for more than 6 months within 1 year, or if you have been abroad for a total of more than 12 months in the last 5 years except for health or education purposes, they will be classified as "interruptions" and the 8-year process will start after the "interruption"
If you have done all the bureaucratic steps mentioned, you can wait for your residence permit card after submitting all your documents. You will receive your card within 7 to 30 days. (May vary depending on the intensity of demand.) If you have entered your address correctly in the national address system and if you have provided your Turkish phone number correctly, you will receive the first notification via SMS and then it will be sent to the address you specified by PTT cargo. You can follow your residence permit card given to the cargo online.
Does the long term residence permit give the foreigner the right to work in Turkey?
No, it does not give the right to work.
Matters Needing Attention
- If your home country does not require an e-visa (Visa exemption) or if the Turkish Consulate's visa is not included in the passport, then you may have to pay the “One Time Entry Fee”
- If you intend to leave Turkey after completing all your documents, do not forget to ask for a "Residence Permit Application Document" on the day of your appointment. This document allows you to travel for a maximum of 15 days until you have your residence permit card. You can only receive this document on the day of your appointment and afterwards, after completing all payments and documents.
- If you have not applied for a residence permit in time and you have stayed longer in Turkey than your tourist visa allows, you will have to pay a penalty (varies depending on the country, age and length of stay) and this penalty may be much higher than your residence permit fee. If you have expired for more than 15 days in Turkey, an entry ban may apply to you. These penalties vary by country. You can pay these penalties at the customs on your arrival or departure. If you do not pay these penalties, you may also be banned from 1 to 5 years from entering Turkey.
- If you do not receive any cargo within 4 weeks, call the "Directorate of Immigration Management" or visit there. Phone Number: 157
- Your permanent residence permit may be revoked if you spend more than 12 months uninterrupted outside Turkey, apart from health and education.
For more information about How to get a residence permit in Turkey? you can visit shttps://www.goc.gov.tr/ and get necessary information from the contact section on the website.